About Me

My photo
I was my parents third child, born in the depression and raised frugally. Married to the same man for 58 years; four wonderful, responsible, reliable, moral children.Also, have eight grandchildren and one darling great-grandchild. Praise God for all His Blessings.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dawn, the Australian Border Collie

“DAWN, CLAW, TALON, AND THE ROBBER BARONS”
By Priscilla B Shuler
Why my masters moved away and left me, I’ll never know. But that’s what they did. One day here, and the next day gone! The keen instincts that I have as an Australian Border Collie had prepared me for such a possibility. You see, I’d already made good friends with the old couple next door. They had often called me over when they had extra people food to give to me. I love the beef bones with chunks of meat clinging on. And the country ham and redeye gravy, that’s the best. But, I also have a preference for chicken fixed any way.

But here I am, getting ahead of myself. When I realized my masters were not coming back, I began sleeping on the porch of the old couple next door. I figured they needed someone to guard
their property and alert them when someone drove into their yard. It didn’t take much effort for them to accept my presence. They already knew my name and even made a nice bed for me in the corner of the garage, in front of the big white monster. Speaking of that… I don’t like the monster. At my first home, their monster was outside and away from where I slept, so I didn’t notice it as much. But this one makes a growling noise every time these new master’s get inside and it whisks them off to who knows where. I worry every time they are taken away, because my previous masters were never brought back.

I remember right after I came to guard this new territory, the master’s grabbed me and shoved me into the white monster and it took us to an awful place. There, a stranger with white hands groped me all over and then let stinging insects bite me. I don’t know what happened next, but I felt myself floating up over a building somewhere. Then, I heard the joyful sounds of brothers and sisters as they came into view. I actually saw the Rainbow Bridge and saw all kinds of animals romping and playing and having a wonderful time.

Every animal knows about the Rainbow Bridge. It’s the forever land where the Great Master takes care of every one of us. There is food aplenty and never any stinging or biting insects or mean masters to hurt us. I was just beginning to trot toward the bridge, to cross over, when suddenly I heard my name being called. Who is that calling me? I very much wanted to continue toward the happy land with the lush green hills and beautiful woods and flowers, where I could meet old friends and make new ones.

There it is again… calling me. I felt myself lose sight of that beautiful land, and heard the creaking of a door opening somewhere. I ventured to open one eye and saw my new master’s faces peering at me through bars and wire. I huffed a mild snort and closed my eye. Then I felt myself being lifted gently into the arms of Lady Master as she wrapped me within the warm folds of my blue blanket. I nestled close and breathed in her smell. She always smells like good food and it makes me feel safe. Anyway, I hardly remember the ride in the white monster, but I knew when we arrived home by the sounds of the birds. There are always birds
around my property.

Lady Master laid me on my soft bed in front of the silent, white monster and I fell back into a deep sleep again. The night seemed to pass quickly and before long I heard the Masters
stirring around in the house and could smell the mouth-watering odor of bacon. I knew it wouldn’t be long before a nice plateful of breakfast would be brought out for me, so I tried to stand up. I was still weak and hurting inside, but was soon able to move gingerly out of the garage and make my way across the large back yard toward the pond.

I checked out all my territorial marks and freshened each place where I was able. As I came back toward the house I saw Lady Master bringing morsels of chicken to place on the high shelf. She pitched one small piece to me and I caught it mid-air. As soon as she’d placed the food onto the shelf, I looked up as Claw and Talon swooped in to clutch the offerings and fly off. They lit high up in an old leafless oak tree to have their breakfast.

Ever since I’ve been knowing them, these new masters have fed Claw and Talon during the frigid weather, when their food is scarce. Understand now, these large birds are Red-Shouldered Hawks and are very shy of humans. But the gentleness of my master’s voices and the noninvasive way they provide food has won them over.

Claw and Talon sit on limbs of the beech tree just a few yards off the patio and call - in their high scream - to alert Lady Master of their hunger. They know that within a few minutes she’ll bring their breakfast out and place it on the high shelf.

I’ve seen them swoop down to grasp a gizzard with Lady still standing there. She doesn’t move. Just stands still as they come and go, flying off to the tall oak beyond the pond, at the edge of the deep woods.

The raucous crows are called Robber Barons by my masters, and seem to be always near by. They send out the feeding calls to each other every time the Lady Master brings out the morsels. They fly in by groups, taking turns to zoom in on the tasty chunks. Within a few seconds it’s all devoured. By the time Claw and Talon show up again, all their food has been eaten. I’ve seen Lady Master running out and trying to shoo away the Robber Barons, but it’s a losing battle for her.
I’m now thinking that this may also be part of my job here, keeping the food safe for the pair of hawks. I reckon I’ll spend the time it takes for me to guard the high shelf whenever there’s food up there. I guess I’d better be on the lookout as much as possible to help my master.

I scout the property constantly to warn away anything I catch venturing into my territory. The other day a family of turkeys was down by the pond for a drink of the cool water. I lay hidden in the tall grass and watched them. I don’t usually bother the animals when they come to the pond, only if they begin coming toward the patio. That’s when I stand up. Usually, that’s all it takes for them to head for the woods.

At night it’s difficult for me to get my beauty sleep. I’m awakened several times most every night to chase the woodland creatures who come onto my territory to forage for the tender greens in Lady Master’s flower garden or Gentleman Master’s vegetable patch. Of course, while the weather is very cold, there isn’t much there for them to get, and this does make my job a little easier.

But now that the winds blow cold and the rain stings with fingers of ice, I find it even more difficult to sense when an intruder comes searching during the dark hours. I try to nestle
deep within the folds of the thick, blue blanket and nap while I can. When the wind whistles around the big white monster, I like to think it’s there protecting me too. It never moves or makes a sound. Now that I think of it, the white monster only growls when Masters come outside and touch it. That’s when I run and vacate the garage as quickly as I can.

Whenever the monster takes my masters away, I always watch to see which way they go. That way I can guess which way they’ll return from. I stay on the alert for the sound of the monster and always run to greet them. Strictly for their benefit, I race before the white monster, then off to circle the fringes of my territory to assure them that I’m on duty for their protection.
Sometimes they bring a nice container of wonderful food. Lady Master always touches my head and makes nice sounds as she places the container down in front of me. If I’m feeling particularly happy, I’ll dance a small jig and yip two or three times. This antic seems to please her greatly and she smiles and laughs and says more of the nice sounds.

When I awoke this morning to the sound of the slamming screen door at the kitchen, I knew Lady Master was headed out to the high shelf with food for Claw and Talon. I ran as fast as I
could to get there before she could get back in the house. I wanted her to see that I was taking my new job seriously. She leaned down and clapped her hands at me and laughed and touched the top of my head.

She had placed six chicken gizzards on the shelf, so I stood still and heard the high scream of the hawks as they thanked her for their breakfast, and then to watch as Claw and Talon swooped in to each grab a chunk and head back out to their favorite tree.

Lady Master left me in charge and she went back into the house and closed the door. I stood very still and listened. Very soon I heard the Robber Barons talking to each other and they began to mock the high scream of the hawks. But, they didn’t fool me. I could see Claw and Talon from where I stood, so I knew they were not making those sounds.

Before I knew what was happening though, a blur of black wings swept down and grabbed a gizzard. Just as another was diving toward the shelf, I began jumping and barking. I thwarted the thievery with very little effort. I was able to keep the robbers at bay until the hawks came and finished their breakfast. I pranced around the yard, just beyond the patio, where I knew Lady Master would see that I was attentive to my new job. Claw and Talon were very happy with my efforts, too. They screamed their thanks from the tall oak beyond the pond.

I really love having a lot to do all year long. In my line of breeding, we shepherds have the need to guard and tend to territory. We know where our borders are and as long as we are healthy, we are diligent and capable of maintaining order within those confines.

Sometimes I feel I am needed back up at the place where my previous masters lived. A new young couple have moved in there and they have two tiny people who play out in the back yard that I used to keep. I stand at my new border and watch. I bark loudly when I see one of the tiny ones toddling toward me. I’m begging them to call me to come protect them, but the young lady comes and calls the tiny people inside. She shoo’s at me. I wag my tail and prance so she can see how healthy and ready I am to help guard them. But she never calls me. Patience is one of my best virtues, so I’ll be prepared when they do need me.

The winter is nearly past now, and Claw and Talon come less often lately. Their natural food supply has become more available since the sun has begun to melt away the cold from the ground. I’ll miss scattering the Robber Barons from the high shelf, but the temperate weather of Spring brings greater responsibility as far as they are concerned. You see, they actually follow Gentleman Master as he plants the corn seeds in neatly furrowed earth.

Whenever my masters are working in their gardens, I am constantly marching the area. My sense of smell keeps me on the alert for all predators who desire to partake of the succulent plants.The rabbit families seem to prefer the tender shoots of lettuce, but they’ll devour anything from the gardens that’s green. At night the deer and raccoons come to drink from the pond and I catch them sniffing the air and glancing toward the verdant gardens. They can detect my presence easily, and they don’t venture toward that area. Of course, if they are very young, they don’t know about me yet, and those are the ones I have the most trouble with. Each year there’s a new crop of babies that are led to the pond. They try to come to the gardens, even against their mother’s warnings. I lower my head and tip steadily toward them, growling as I go. They stand still, as if they are statues. But when I get too close, they turn and fly back to the safety of the deep woods. This little game makes me happy and keeps me on my toes.

My greatest joy lies in doing my job well. My masters seem to appreciate my efforts too. They provide me with a clean, comfortable place to rest at night. The food couldn’t be better. And when the summer storms come with frightening lightning and booming thunder, they’ll open the door and allow me inside. I lay on the thick rug in the cozy room where my master’s rattle papers and watch a large black box with very little people running through it.

All told, my life here could hardly be better, but sometimes I recall the Rainbow Bridge and the joyous sound of my brothers and sisters running happily through that wonderful place. I do hope that the Great Master will have a spot picked out for me to guard for Him. I don’t think I could enjoy life without work. After all, work is what keeps us young. Don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment