About Me

My photo
I was my parents third child, born in the depression and raised frugally. Married to the same man for 58 years; four wonderful, responsible, reliable, moral children.Also, have eight grandchildren and one darling great-grandchild. Praise God for all His Blessings.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Spring Surprise

A Factual Account by Priscilla B Shuler

The hawk pair who'd fed on chicken parts and peices at their table on top of our clothesline rail made it through a very rough, cold winter. Before the sun began to warm the earth I spied them busily constructing their nest, high in an oak on the adjoining property. I watched through binoculars as the nest became larger and stronger even against the March winds.

As the weather tempered I ceased providing their meals and I saw very little of them, however, they did call to me whenever they saw me outdoors. They'd circle high, high up and scream their delight with the world. In turn I'd wave and call my "hello darlings" to them.

One afternoon several weeks later I was at the kitchen sink and saw "Maude" (I named the pair after my mother - Maude, and father, Vic) light on top of the clothesline rail and she looked directly at me through the window over the sink. She screamed and flew off. I quickly dried my hands and stepped out onto the back porch, watching as she flew off toward the nesting tree.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw her returning to our yard with her two young children in tow behind her. She circled low into our yard in front of me and took them out over the pond and came around once more. You can only imagine what I felt as I waved and called to them. One of the most beautiful sights I've ever been priviledged to see!

Only God can give such perfect gifts!

We continue to feed our beautiful feathered friends, and this winter is proving to be a particularly cold one. We keep our shopping list handy and always insert 'chicken parts'. We need to always have them on hand during this time to keep our hawks as healthy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment